of memoirs and musings

random recollections.silly sampat stories.wistful wanderlust.serendipitous discoveries.all things me.


one mortal life

"One day at school, when I was fourteen, I made up my mind to be a writer. It was the first major decision I'd made, the first time I was aware of having a whole life and not just a succession of days. To my surprise, this decision affected everything. I seemed suddenly to have gained direction, volition; the various annoyance of the present were less weighty when there was a future pulling me on. I could detach myself from the life around because I had a plan of escape. At the same time, the present did matter, for the future would be built out of the present. There was both urgency and relief."

Hanif Kureishi, from the Introduction of Hanif Kureishi: Plays One

The serendipity of finding this paragraph paused time and motion for me one afternoon. As the train hurtled along shuttling dreams, expectations, hopes and lives, time and motion came rushing back... and conviction caught up with me.

0 Responses to “one mortal life”

Post a Comment

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from carinasuyin. Make your own badge here.

Powered by Blogger

make money online blogger templates


kuala lumpur, malaysia & singapore




© 2004-2006 of memoirs and musings | Powered by Blogger and Gecko&Fly.
Please do not reproduce any part of the content or the blog without author's prior permission or proper attribution.
carinasuyin [at]gmail[dot]com